To promote the use of art for raising awareness
about the developing world
About Simon Bird
During my time at Cheltenham Art College I became disillusioned with the slick and commercial side of the art establishment. Travelling to developing countries enabled me to interact with people who have a more direct and less inhibited approach to painting. Through time I became more aware of the political and commercial influences on these people. Due to this, my paintings have evolved to express the difficulties many people are now facing around the world.
Major Exhibitions & Commissions:
2010.....Launch of the film 'Karamoja City Warriors'.
- An awareness raising documentary & animated film for East Africa.
2009.....Exhibition at 'Eype Church, Centre for the Arts, Bridport, Dorset.
- Karamojaland Uganda, Slovakian Gypsies, Panelaks in Prague,
Panama & Suez Canal, Egyptian Mummies.
2004/5..M-Art Gallery, Nottinghill, London.
- Paintings from Egypt, Central and South America.
2002.....Manor House Arts Centre, Sidmouth.
- Solo exhibition of works from China, Tibet, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia &
2000.....Mural South Yarra, Melbourne, Australia.
- A trek up the Ho Chi Minh Trail, Laos.
1999.....Mitrebox Gallery Seaton.
- Solo exhibition of works from Lesotho, Mozambique and Australia.
1999.....Marine House Gallery, Beer.
- Paintings of Peru and Bolivia
1997.....Blue Lias Gallery, Lyme Regis.
- Paintings from Peru and Bolivia
1997.....Manor House Arts Centre, Sidmouth.
- Solo exhibition of India ,Ladahk and South America
1993.....Ceiling fresco stately home, Axmouth Harbour.
- Modern version of Italian renaissance cherubs.