An industrious Garo Lady, who is successfully running her own construction materials company.
Location: Garo Hills, Meghalaya State, Northeast India.
Population: 700,000 in Meghalaya (some also live in Bangladesh and neighbouring Indian states).
Religion: 90% Christians, 5% original animist faith Songsarek, 5% Hindus, some Muslims and others.
Language: Garsi (language of Tibetan-Burmese origin), Hindi and English.
- Children belong to the mother and take her clan name (matrilineal name).
- The most capable daughter inherits family property (matrilineal inheritance).
- If the family has only sons, they will adopt a suitable heiress.
- Partnerships are traditionally initiated by women.
- A man moves into his wife’s family after marriage (matrifocal residence).